I’ve always had a side interest in calligraphy, so when this assignment came along, it just cried out for a calligraphic treatment of the type. After rendering my particular version of Chancery Cursive, I scanned it into PhotoShop, distressed it a little, colored it and gave it a drop shadow.
In 2007 I got the Shakespeare cover assignment again, and since I don’t get to do calligraphy that much, I decided to render the type in calligraphy once again. Only this time I lettered it in a customized Uncial style, scanned it into PhotoShop and gave it a three-dimensional, weathered, metal look. I gave it a further Elizabethan feel by using a parchment paper photo as a background.